Friday, August 27, 2010

Hamburger Heaven

I have been out of town all week for business and was very surprised to note how much I missed Juarez. Everyone kept telling me I just missed my husband but as soon as I got here I realized that I really did miss Mexico. Things may be rough here right now, but that doesn't take away from the vibrant life and culture in the streets.

After a long day of travel from Tucson to San Diego to El Paso and waiting over an hour to cross back into Mexico, I was more than ready to grub. I had been thinking about this hamburguesa Hawaiiana that I tried last week the whole time I was away. I was so impressed by it that I felt I could dedicate an entire blog solely to this street delight. I was waiting until I came back so that I could take a picture of it for you all so that you could see this burger in all of its delicious glory. And I feel that I should mention that I am not a "burger person." I have never gone to a restaurant and ordered a hamburger with the exception of a one-time fling with a Baconator from Wendy's.

I was very disappointed to see that the burger/taco stand was not in my neighborhood tonight. My husband informed me that it will only be there on Saturdays and Sundays. But don't fear, Stacey's here! She had us follow her to her family's favorite street vendor. And God bless Stacey because this hamburger was truly a culinary delicacy. It could move Heavens and Earth for me. It was like the Holy Spirit in my mouth. I just can't say enough.

They grill a sirloin patty and top it with grilled pineapple, American cheese, AND CARNE BISTEC, and wedge it between a buttered then grilled bun. Simple. Sweet. Savory. Ahhhhhh... the only thing that could have made it better would have been the addition of bacon. The first time I ordered this hamburguesa de Hawaii was at the cart in my neighborhood it was served with bacon, this time, bistec. I still can't decide which I prefer.

I still don't have a picture for you because yet again, I ate it much too fast. But here is a picture of the taco cart from Heaven:


(Photo courtesy of Lealeya Photography)

No comments:

Post a Comment