Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Losing Limones

My husband called me this afternoon to tell me that one of his co-workers was found dead along with his wife and two young children. This time around, it had nothing to do with the violence of Juarez; they died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Details can be found in this story in today's issue of the El Paso Times. My husband said that what was left out of the article is that they left their propane powered heater and their gas stove on to keep warm as temperatures dropped into the teens Monday night.

The young man, who everyone called Limones, was well known as the resident jokester at the maquila. He worked in the line next to my husband's. Gordo said Ruben was always in a good mood. He had tons of friends and could always cheer you up with his humor. When anyone wanted a good laugh, all they had to do was listen to Limones for a bit.

Today I would like to give my sincere condolences to the friends and family of Ruben Limon, you are in our hearts and minds. I would also like to warn everyone not to use their propane heaters at night. I know these heaters are a popular go-to in Mexico because of the price of natural gas or electric alternatives, but please, please be careful. Bundle up, sleep together, pile on the blankets, but never use your propane heater at night.


  1. This is so sad. My condolences to their family and friends.

  2. Kind of hits home since my brother-in-law died of carbon monoxide poisoning. But this young family is truly tragic. I wish Mexico could get with the program and build houses with central heat like the USA. I know, I know, it takes money. I wish businesses in Mexico would pay a livable wage. I wish this family hadn't fallen asleep before turning off the heater.